Wednesday, December 21, 2016

How To Create Your Own German Spa Experience

Sometimes, you just need to take the day off.

That's what I did today.

I woke up at 4 o'clock this morning, my head and face throbbing from sinus pressure. You ever been there?

Then I checked email, drank water, took Alka Seltzer, looked through my Facebook newsfeed with Israel, (the video of our friend, Macee's, post-op drug-induced delirium from the removal of her wisdom teeth had us rolling), took a little nap thinking I could sleep off the pain . . .

At 2 o'clock this afternoon, Israel ran me a hot, hot, (as in, I had to add cold water before I could get in), eucalyptus aromatherapy bath. After about 20 minutes, with my face drenched with sweat, and my heart rate accelerated by a lot, I got out and dressed in a fresh pair of pajamas.

Now, at this point, I realized I had the perfect makings of a German Spa experience. All I had to do was stand under an ice cold shower for several seconds. Or, the other option is to go outside in the freezing air for about 10 minutes.

At real German spas, you sit in a sauna with the heat so high, you're sure you're being cooked from the inside out. (Actually, I kinda felt like that in the tub of water Israel filled for me.)

Then . . . (and this is where the medicinal effect takes place), you exit the sauna and immediately dip down into an "ice bath," which is literally a cylinder tub with steps down into it where you submerge up to your neck. Do this for a few seconds and then step out.

At this point, you either go back into the sauna you were in before or you choose the one across the hall which is much hotter, (I stepped in there and found it was so hot I couldn't catch my breath), sit there for about 10 minutes, and repeat the ice bath. Or . . .go walk outside for 10 to 15 minutes.

Oh. And the dress code in a German spa is naked. So, there's that. Fortunately, they give you a big, fluffy bathrobe to wear around the spa and thankfully you're allowed to wear your bath towel in the sauna. Of course, if you're going to dip down into the ice bath, you can't wear either.

So, if you're not comfortable with the concept of al naturel, (which I'm not), you can wrap the cozy bathrobe around you and go sit outside in one of their oversize Adirondack lounge chairs.

Repeat the process three or four times to increase blood circulation, which promotes health and well being. :)

Which is what brought me to the realization that I had all the makings of a German Spa today. Because after my soak in extremely hot water, I went and sat outside where the temperature was 37 degrees Fahrenheit. I took my water bottle and the book I'm currently reading, but then found the fresh air to be so rejuvenating and relaxing, that I ended up just sitting there. Grateful. So. Extremely. Grateful.

My girl, who was downstairs working on making gingerbread for the house she plans to build, came up and checked on me and took a photo.


My head feels tons better. And I'm excited to get back to work.

How about you? How are you feeling today? Be extra kind to yourself. Maybe take the day off? What is your version of a German Spa experience?




No comments:

Post a Comment